If you can be a little flexible regarding your resort and room type, mystery hotel deals are a great way to save money on your vacation to the Caribbean or Mexico. With such a program, you save money, but you allow the resort chain or vacation package provider to select which exact resort you will be staying at.
I have done this type of program three times in the past and was very satisfied with the results. While it’s no longer offered by Club Med, many years ago we used the Club Med “Wild Card” program. We knew we would be spending a week, with charter airfare included from either Chicago or New York City, at one of the Club Meds in Mexico or the Caribbean. The first time we did this program, we got assigned to the Club Med Cancun, which at the time was adults only. We liked the program so much we did it again the following year and this time got sent to the Club Med in Huatulco (now Las Brisas).
My third time using such a program was the SuperClubs Resorts “Super Surprise” program. We knew we would be staying at one of their resorts in Jamaica. We were sent to Hedonism III (now the Royal Decameron Fun Caribbean) and had a great time.
This post will be a “work in progress” while I continue my research into which resort chains and tour operators offer such packages.
Apple Vacations offers their “Square Deal Program” which guarantees you a room at an all-inclusive resort in a pre-specified category based on Apple’s rating system, e.g. “6 Apple”, “5 Apple,” etc.
Couples Resorts offers the Secret Rendezvous program for their four couples-only resorts in Jamaica. With this program, the resort you’ll be staying at remains a ‘secret’ until 7 days prior to your arrival. 3 night minimum stay is required. Savings off published rates is from 41% off to 51% off depending on the time of year.
MLT offers two types of Mystery Deals, offering incredible savings:
- The first option provides customers with the brand name of the hotel in their select destination, but not the exact hotel
- The second option provides customers with the rating of the hotel in their select destination, but not the hotel name, or the specific location in the destination
Funjet Vacations offers a mystery hotel program they call their Fun For Less program. You’ll stay at one of Funjet’s best hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean, but won’t find out where you’re staying until 7-10 days prior to departure.
- Huge Savings! Get the best deal by booking a mystery hotel — you are guaranteed a hotel with a star rating that’s equal to or greater than the advertised rating
- Multiple-room bookings on the same reservation are GUARANTEED to be placed at the same hotel for bookings made 10+ days prior to departure.
- Incredible product lineup in Mexico and Caribbean destinations
- The actual hotel name is provided 7-10 days before departure
- For some of the deals, Funjet will tell you the resort chain
- Note that no special room requests are allowed and rooms with disability access cannot be guaranteed. Rooms will be in the lowest category.