Many thanks to the Great American Steamboat Company for hosting a very nice training breakfast for local travel agents this morning here in Columbus, Ohio. I got a chance to hear again about this great new “homegrown” cruise product. Cruises begin in April. With the recent surge in popularity of river cruising in Europe, it will be really nice to have a USA river cruise option, visiting such historic ports as New Orleans, Natchez, Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, Louisville, Memphis, and even a sailing featuring the Kentucky Derby .
The Great American Queen is the only authentic overnight paddlewheel steamboat in America and the largest steamboat ever built.
I can see this is going to be a first-class product all the way:
- Multiple specialty dining options, all at no additional charge
- Complimentary bottled water and soft drinks
- Complimentary wine and beer at dinner
- Complimentary shore excursions
- Complimentary overnight pre-cruise stay in a select luxury hotel, including breakfast, taxes, and transfers to the ship
- Complimentary hot and cold canapes at cocktail hour every evening
- In-room coffee brewers with Starbucks coffee
- Gracious, friendly service from professionally-trained all-American staff
- Daily lectures by the Riverlorian, the onboard river historian
- Professional showboat-style entertainment and dancing nightly (groups scheduled to appear include the Glenn Miller Orchestra, Harry James Orchestra, B.J. Thomas, the Lovin’ Spoonful, the Platters, Bill Haley’s Comets, Annie Moses Band, the Rat Pack Show, and more
Related: Steamboating Through America’s Heartland is Back on the American Queen
Related: Love to cruise but hate to fly?
Also see: American Cruise Lines to Build Third New Riverboat
Also see: Riverboats make a comeback, especially on the Mississippi